Re: Win 2000 and TS 2000i

Hi Chris,

I use TS2Ki on Win2K, but I had initial problems which you should be aware
of.

If you are a developer and have Visual Studio 6.0 installed on your Win2K
computer, then you may have problems installing TS2Ki.  I did.

The problem I saw was that the TS2Ki installer detected the wrong version of
MDAC.  It somehow found the VS version first (or instead of) the Win2K
version.  This caused to TS2Ki installer to run mdac_typ.exe (found on the
TS2Ki CD-ROM).

As you may know, one of the neat features of Win2K (neat to me, anyway) is
that Win2K will happily let 3rd party installers (TS2Ki in this case)
replace OS system files left and right, only to automatically replace them
with the original Win2K files after the installer finishes.

The problem in this case was that the TS2Ki installer was too smart for its
own good.  It recognized that Win2K had replaced the TS2Ki version of MDAC,
and so tried to run mdac_typ.exe again.  This put the installer into an
endless loop.

My solution was to buy a second computer so that I could put Win2K + TS2Ki
on it *without* Visual Studio.  I should note that I installed "alot" of
other things on this Win2K computer (e.g. MS Office 2K, Mathematica, etc.)
and didn't have any problems installing TS2Ki.  So, in my case, it appeared
to be only the interaction with Visual Studio.  If you don't have Visual
Studio installed, then you may be fine.

I should also note that the technical support person at Omega Research was
very helpful in helping me try and fix my problem.  Although I ended up
figuring out the solution myself and "fixing" it after I got off the phone
with him, in all fairness to him and Omega Research, I was using their
product on an unsupported platform and they still spent 20 minutes with me
trying to help me.

Regards, Matt