Re: 2 Quick Notes - Tom Demark's Sequential

Depends on several things.  A copyright is valid for a specific period of
time, after which it expires and anyone can publish the material.  If
someone publishes copyrighted material before the copyright expires, he is
in violation of the law, but it is the responsibility of the copyright
owner to pursue whatever action he chooses to take, if any.

If an author of some new material wants to temporarily protect the work, he
can use the (c) symbol, but he may still need to defend it in court if he
had not actually applied for a formal copyright when he used the
symbol.  The author or owner of the work is only protected for the period
of time that the formal registered copyright is in effect.

As with anything else, practicality and common sense will generally
prevail.  if you lift some copyrighted text and post it in a forum on the
Internet, you may technically be in violation of law, but it would most
likely not be worth the time, trouble, and expense necessary to pursue
you.  If you publish the copyrighted data for personal financial gain, it
may or may not be worth the time and expense for the copyright owner to
pursue damages.

Some materials can be protected via other laws for extended periods of
time.  For example, the father of "Beach Boy" Brian Wilson sold their
entire body of work for $700,000 in the late '60s -- today the work is
estimated to be worth $75 Million, but the original authors can't touch
it-- nor can anyone but the owner.