Re: Virus Alert - "I LOVE YOU"

UPDATE: ILOVEYOU virus reports keep coming in
ILOVEYOU appears to be spreading at a rapid rate, deleting massive amounts
of data...
More reports are coming in about UK and European corporations that have been
hit by the ILOVEYOU virus which seems to have originated from the
Phillipines. In one case, the virus seems to be destroying files at a rapid
rate.

According to AT&T, which has confirmed it has been hit by the virus,
ILOVEYOU is similar to Melissa, which caused widespread chaos last year. A
spokesman for AT&T told ZDNet: "We picked up the virus and from what we have
learned so far, there are no virus detectors that can deal with it yet."

Symantec and McAfee have confirmed they are both working on a fix for the
virus which will be made available on ZDNet.

The spokesman added: "We think it does two things. First it seems to send
out an instruction to the global address book in Outlook. This goes out to a
much bigger number of targets than Melissa did. It also sends users to
www.skyinet.net by reconfiguring the default home page in Internet Explorer.
We're not sure why it does this at present."

Initial examination of the virus reveals it is written in Microsoft's Visual
Basic scripting language. One source says some of the script resembles that
of the KAK virus.

ILOVEYOU damages files with the extensions: .vbs, .vbe, .js, .jse, .css,
.wsh, .sct, .hta, .jpg, .jpeg .mp3, .mp2. It uses the global address list in
Microsoft Outlook to propagate itself and the nickname list in the MIRC
messaging application. One source says, "We've just scanned one of our file
servers as we noticed that the used space had greatly gone down. But it gets
worse: it overwrites all the files and appends .vbs to the end of those
files."

The IT department of another UK company struck by the virus is shocked at
the speed at which it has spread. A member of the IT support team says, "I
did brand new downloads this morning and they didn't work. The trouble is
that I don't know if it does something without them doing anything."

What you see

Attached to your email is: LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs.

Do not open this attachment

Further Update: A statement from anti-virus firm, Sophos says ILOVEYOU is
the fastest spreading virus since the Melissa outbreak of last year.