Re: Internet feeds

At 12:18 PM 4/30/00, Bob Heisler wrote:
>For those of us who are currently receiving data via the Net, or for those
>who have tried, it normally turns into a love-hate relationship.  Internet
>outages are not uncommon and usually occur at the most inopportune times.
 >snip>

As many of you know, the CME has a free pilot system for providing
real-time Globex2 quotes. The page at:

http://www.cme.com/web/live/

contains the following warning:

Note: these prices are being provided via the Internet, which is not always
robust or reliable. If you need a robust and reliable service for trading
purposes that doesn't rely on the Internet, we recommend using a quote
vendor. The CME Quote Vendor directory is available at
http://www.cme.com/market/vendor.html.

And Internet failures aren't always due to ISP problems or server problems.
There have been multiple failures of the backbone administered by Worldcom
in the NYC area this past month (through which a lot of traffic in the
Northeast flows).

Allan