McAfee - version 4 sux

More on the ongoing security struggle....

My computer came with NT and McAfee 3 preinstalled. I never had a
problem with 3. It just quietly ran in the background and didn't seem to
affect performance at all. Problem is they quit posting updated virus
definitions for 3 at the end of the year so I finally installed 4 to get
new definitions. Well, it's a dawg. I have some TS4 indicators I run
every night that write to files with fileappend. They take 3-4 times as
long to run with McAfee 4 running. Booting takes a lot longer and
shutting down programs is sluggish. Disabling McAfee brings the speed
back to normal.

I dunno, maybe it's another one of those conflict things like I had with
ZoneAlarm and Sygate Manager. I've got a P3-450, 320MB, with ZoneAlarm
and Sygate services running. The readme says how much better the
protection is with 4 than 3. They incorporated Dr. Solomon technology.
But, if I have to leave it disabled most of the time, it ain't doing
dick to protect me.

--
  Dennis