taxes (stock gains)

Just wondering if there's a way to possibly avoid paying a total of
40% on taxes from gains in the stock market. I had to pay 28% federal
tax, then 12% capital gains tax for the state of Massachusetts. It
hardly seems worth the risk. It's hard enough to make money in the
market as it is, then you have to give almost half back to the
government, while they risk NOTHING if I lose...What a system..
I'd like to hear privately if this is an accurate figure for the
amount of taxes that I paid. Thanks in advance

Matt