2nd HD, W2000, Ps2ki

Thought I would try and get in trouble this weekend by installing a second
HD(10gig) on a windows 98 machine. The intent is to configure it as a dual
boot machine with Win2000 on the second drive and then install the next
release of PS2ki on it.  Initially the second drive jumpers are set for
slave.  It is plugged into the second connector on the Primary IDE connector
that also has the master drive.  Power plug is connected to the drive.
Power is applied to the computer.  I hit F1 during the boot process to check
the Bios settings for the IDE Primary Channel Slave, and they look correct
for "Auto" config and the drive size is correct.  DMA Xfer was left to
"Auto".  It looks like the computer sees the drive properly.  Then I escape
from Bios setup without making any changes and windows finishes booting.
Then I check the Explorer to see if a drive letter has been assigned to the
new drive.  It doesn't appear to be that one has.  For now I wanted to
format this second drive as FAT32 to remain compatible with the master
drive.  This new second drive is a UDMA drive which is supposed to be
downward compatible with EIDE and IDE controllers and cabling.  So, the
question is why doesn't the Explorer see the second drive and assign it a
drive letter?  Currently the Explorer shows the floppy as A:, primary HD as
C:, no secondary HD, CD as G;.  What am I missing or what is windows98
missing?

Thanks,
BobR