Re: Omega 2000i & privacy

Giovanni Pugliese wrote:

> Thank you for you response.  I believe that you are correct on your
> observations.  It has been pointed out that when we allocate space on your
> hard drive, windows assigns us the readily available space on the drive in
> the order that the space is available.  if data has been marked deleted by
> windows and this data resides in the area that has been allocated by the OS,
> you will be able to view it in external viewers.  As you are probably aware,
> when data is deleted from your drive, this does not mean that the data has
> been wiped from your hard drive, its just means that the data has been
> marked as deleted and that the space is available to be written over by any
> application.  When we allocate the space, not all of the space is usually
> used as we try to maintain the cache file as empty as possible for the best
> possible performance.  This means that there is allocated space that cannot
> be written to by any other program, and may not be written to at the moment
> by our own program, which you are viewing

If one can allocate a large amount of disk space for a file and then
have access to whatever was left from the previous use of those disk
sectors, then this is a huge security hole in MS Win operating system(s).

Several Unix vendors and DEC with their VMS operating system got in
serious trouble over this very issue 20 years ago or so -- back in
the good ol' days when security was not nearly as big an issue as it
is today.

If OR is thinking tradestation.com is going to be run as an ASP,
you better think seriously about security.  See various articles at

http://www.networkcomputing.com/

and I'm sure several other www sites, about security concerns of
opening up one's computing equipment to an ASP provider.

Rod