Re: DTN Satellite / Serial Card Alternatives

Dear Bob & Group,

BobR wrote:

> Perhaps this bit of information will be a clue.  Just noticed it last week.
> When running a a paintbar study on the emini tick bars some bars had one
> color like they were supposed to and some bars had both colors. It was a
> very simple paintbar study.  If the close of the bar was above the moving
> average the bar was painted blue and if below the average it was red.  The
> bars were 75 ticks each, or supposed to be.  The average was 24 period
> simple MA.  The bars that were made from the previous day's data had correct
> coloring and some of the new bars that were being painted with live data as
> it came in were two tone, i.e. part blue and part red.  Not many of them
> were like that, but enough that it was noticeable.

I have often observed similar results (generally with ShowMe studies, not
PaintBars, but I doubt that this is signficant).  In my case, I believe that
this result is due entirely to my having the "Calculate after every tick"
feature turned on.  When I turn it off, the occasional multiple result always
disappears.  I've never had it occur unless I am using realtime data, running in
realtime, and calculating after every tick.  If that is true in your case, then
your two-tone paintbars occur when, sometime during an early part of the bar,
there was at least one "last tick" that was above the moving average, and
sometime during a later time in the same bar, there was at least one "last tick"
was below the moving average (or vice versa).  I would suspect that you would
never see these results with a 1-tick chart or with any other chart where all of
the ticks in any bar are either all above or all below the moving average
throughout the entire length of that bar.

Sincerely,

Richard