RE: DTN Satellite / Serial Card Alternatives

I use DTN sat with Ts2k SP4c on a Dell PII450, 256mb, Win2k (Bld 2195),
TE920 serial card.  I collect all ticks on 20k symbols. I have absolutely no
buffer overruns between the DTN sat controller and the serial card or
between the serial card and GS.  I also ran UMDS for a week under Win2k and
had no overruns whatsoever.  UMDS collects many more symbols than GS for
reasons I do not understand.

The answer to your problems is Win2k.  I used this same setup on Win98 and
WinNT4, SP6.  I had massive overruns between the DTN box and serial port
until I installed the TE920 which eliminated that problem completely.  You
should have zero overruns reported by the DTN box stat window.

Under Win98 I had substantial overuns between the serial card and GS.  These
can be measured by the software provided by PacificCommware which only works
under Win98 or by looking at the Log.txt file. (Omega
Research\Server\DTN\Log.txt.)  The problem cannot be solved under Win98. I
then switched to NT4.  This helped very substantially, but I still had
approx 300 buffer overruns between the serial card and GS per day.  I
counted them in Log.txt.  I had hundreds of other serial port errors also.
I/O overlap and other obscure errors I did not understand.  I also ran UMDS
under NT for several days.  UMDS has a built in diagnostic screen which
counts overruns between the serial card and UMDS.  I was getting the same
300+- overruns per day as with GS.

Then I switched to Win2k.  I now have zero overruns.  The Log.txt file no
longer even exists.  Win2k has completely eliminated all problems releated
to the serial port errors and overflows.  I dont know how or why but its
true.  PacificCommware has beta Win2k drivers you can get by emailing tech
support.  When the drivers are fully tested they will be posted on thier
webpage, Pacificcommware.com.

My tick counts are always as high or higher than any I see posted on this
list and higher than HBank so I must assume I do not have a tick loss
problem.  I trade stocks and there is no official source for tick counts
that I know of.  Omega uses DTN sat to collect data for Hbank and tech
support has called the exchanges on occassion to confirm the quality of my
tick counts when I was contacting them about this issue.  So has DTN.  After
I installed the TE920, my tick counts equaled the exchange reported counts
within a very small degree of error.

DTN has been slow at the open and in fast mkt conditions lately.  They are
supposed to have this problem fixed within 2 weeks.  A new line to Bridge is
in the works.

The DTN box does not do flow control as has been noted by Bob.  The TE920
card handles the tick flow strictly by virtue of larger buffers.  I have the
TE920 set to the default Receive FIFO level of 32 bytes.  Even though the
buffers are 64 bytes, a lower trigger is necessary to empty the buffer or
overruns would occur regularly. The buffers are definitely large enough to
handle data flow from the DTN box since I now have no overruns.

But the TE920 is an ISA card and no plans are in the works for a PCI version
so some other brand would be necessary in a new computer with no ISA slots.
The Digi card sounds good to me.  That brand is in wide use with a variety
of other products.

Several people have noted no solution to the dropped tick problem using BMI.
But the card definitely works with DTN.

Bill Wood