Re: DTN Satellite / Serial Card Alternatives

Here is something to consider when trying to adapt some of the high speed
serial port boards to DTN or BMI satellite in hopes of minimizing tickloss.
These boards such as the TE920  are designed to accomplish the high speed by
use of hardware or software flow control.  The BMI satellite receiver does
not use any flow control and I have been told neither does the 115K DTN box,
i.e. it is like a data hose and has no internal buffering.   After a week of
fooling around with configurations on the TE920 on DTN and BMI on different
machines and software, a friend of mine and I are still experiencing
overflows.  That means the buffers(even 64 byte buffers) are not emptied
fast enough before new data arrives.  The 920 is an ISA board and in my case
it had gross incompatibility with an internal modem in the adjacent slot and
would cause screwy things to happen like windows would freeze and a constant
beeping error occurred. There were no conflicts with irq's or dma or memory
assignments...chuck the modem...with a nonbuffered port the machine is a
single function machine.  Yes, it will do many things simultaneously, but at
the loss of ticks.  I just don't think that a 64 or even 128 byte buffer
will solve this problem.  Thus, the requirement for a better datamanager and
or a truly buffered board or box as mentioned below.  I would like to be
proved wrong on this point.
BR