Rampant hacking ( formerly: Better than Black Ice )

I received many questions regarding my initial post so here are the answers:

Yes, that was a list of illegal access attempts.

My firewall is ZoneAlarm.  It currently does not produce a log file of attempted accesses.  However, it does pop up a dialog that queues all the recent attacks.  I take the information ( IP#, port#, etc.) and then visit http://www.arin.net/whois/arinwhois.html to find out the ISP manager's email address, to which I send a complaint.  Complaint departments want a formal log report, including date and time, or else they tend to ignore your complaint.  So far, the sample format below seems to meet their approval.

date    Colorado my     from            from  ISP location        ISP WHOIS
        time     port   IP address      port
3/2/00  10:49    TCP    24.68.53.85     TCP   Calgary, Canada     Shaw Fiberlink

I find that ZoneAlarm will randomly create a blue screen on my NT system only when, during boot up, I log in BEFORE the hard drive finishes loading files.  If I wait until the hard drive becomes quiet, then log in to my NT account, ZoneAlarm has never given me a problem.  I think ZA is a very fine program, and when the last bugs are removed, it'll be near perfect.

Just because you have file and printer sharing disabled, do not think you are safe.  For a thorough tutorial on this matter, see  http://www.grc.com  and follow the link to SHIELDS UP.  You will discover that your computer may have over 30,000 open ports through which a hacker might enter your system.  You will also learn that there are two steps to take to completely block all unwanted entries:  1)  properly set up your protocol links   2)  install a firewall

Regarding the credit card scam....

When I called up the firms that billed me and asked who placed the order, they said the name field on the order was a random sequence of characters.  I asked why they accepted such requests and was told it was all automated, and the name field is not validated.    So there you have it.  With the proliferation of online credit card processing services, almost anybody can set up a web site to process credit card purchases.  And that means lots of sloppy operations that provide easy means to discover and use your CC number.

Mark Jurik
Jurik Research
http://www.jurikres.com