Re: DTN Satellite / Serial Card Alternatives

Good idea to check around for feedback on this.  Here is some.  A friend and
I are both running the TurboExpress 920 which has the 64 byte
buffers(16750uarts).  PacificComware has no plans for a 128byte board.  He
is running DTN and Ensign and I am running ProSuite - Global Server - BMI
data manager and BMI satellite.  DTN has a much higher baud rate than the
BMI sat box.  We both get character overruns even though BMI is 38.4K and
his DTN is magnitudes faster.  Someone posted a theoretical requirement for
buffer size a few weeks back and I believe the conclusion was that even a 64
byte buffer would be insufficient.  I don't recall if a 128 would be.  We
also made tick counts at the end of the day for the same symbol and time
period.  I also compared the tick count on a TS4 system using the
motherboard comport and an SIIG CyberSerial Dual 16550uart board(16byte
buffer).  We used the emini because of the large number of ticks in a day.

Conclusion supports the notion that  the ProSuite-Global server - BMI DM
combination is a tick loser.  It appears to lose up to 20% or more of the
emini ticks whether it is on a motherboard comport(16 byte buffer) or an ISA
board comport(64 byte buffer).  Whereas on the big snp it loses about 2%
compared to the TS4 system.  The DTN Ensign system always came in with a
thousand more emini ticks than the TS4(comport or SIIG PCI board both of
which were 16byte buffers).

Just a few days ago I discovered that Black Box has a PCI board with the 128
byte buffer(16950 uart).  Belief here is that no configuration is going to
help the BMI Data Manager as that is the bottleneck.

BobR