RE: Which holds best promise?

"You need to have a trading plan that allows you to
capitalize on that kind of volatility, and systems and indicators will not
do that for you.  The best computer ever invented is the one between our own
ears, and you must be able to use that to trade successfully.  I know most
folks believe that a 'system' will help their trading by removing the
emotions inherent in trading, but again the opposite is in fact true."

These are good points.  What system testing i've done has shown that the
most profitable systems are the systems that let the market run.  As soon as
I start exiting at a specific dollar amounts (ie scalping) invariably the
system profit decreases.  My testing has shown that getting back into trades
after a premature exit can minimize the impact of premature exists but this
increases costs.  However, the downside to letting a market run in ** most
** cases is giving back some of the profits -- probably more than you would
like.  So my entry point becomes important because I need room to let the
market run and then exit.  There are approaches that I have yet to test and
I keep exploring this area because it makes sense that capturing many small
moves is easier than capturing large moves.  But we're trading off floor and
transaction costs and slippage added to small losses always seem to get in
the way of those types of systems.

I've watched traders who trade wihout strict systems per se and I've traded
that way too but what was true in those cases was that even the non systems
traders were trading with a methodology weather they realized it or not.
They were looking for points of support/resistance, looking for pullbacks to
MAs, something that gave them a consistent point of reference in the market.
They said they couldn't trade a strict system and that much may be true for
them but that's not to say that someone couldn't model their approach.  In
fact, pert much dang near anything can be modeled on a PC.  Without a
consistent approach trading is more gambling than anything and I've never
talked to someone who had success trading an inconsitent approach or anyone
succefull over the long term (making a living) that traded their gut.