Re: Multi-Tech Serial Card: Control Experiments

> By the way, I got a note from Andy (ronin) a day or two ago telling me
> that he has seen some positive effect from his use of his new
> TurboExpress card --- saving some 50 or so ticks per issue daily that he
> otherwise would have lost had he been running the data straight into his
> serial comport.  His observations suggest that it may be worthwhile to
> look for a suitable analog to the Telcor T-Port card after all.  The
> MultiTech card, with its 16K of data buffering, looked like it a real
> possibility.

A little update on that (for those on the Omega-List):

The 50 ticks was in reference to the NDX index. Usually BMI transmit
anywhere from 1800-1850 ticks on the NDX per day (from the omega website
download) on a satellite datafeed. Since I'm on cable, I usualy see anywhere
from 1750-1800 ticks per day, before getting the Turbo Express. After
installing and going through the documentation (or lack thereof) to
configure the settings, I'm getting anywhere from 1800-1850 ticks per day,
for the last week or so. To really see the difference, I usually get
3600-3800 ticks for the DSP -  on cable before the Turbo Express. With the
Turbo Express, I'm seeing 3900-4100 for the DSP. And since this is with
cable, I think that those people with satellite feed might get more ticks
then they are currently receiving.

It could be a situation where BMI is transmitting more data than we are
seeing because ticks are lost in the serial port due to little or no
buffering.

I'm still in the search for a Telcor T Port card or something similar. Even
though I'm having some success with the Turbo Express, I really want to get
something that performs up to the standards created by the Telcor T port. I
don't thing that the Turbo Express is adequate enough. If you do find a
replacment or something similar to the Telcor, please let me know.