Multi-Tech Serial Card: Control Experiments

Dear Jim, Bob, Terry, Andy, & Group,

1.  JIM:  In response to your suggestion, I performed the following
experiments:

In P3/500: Remove the MultiTech comport from ports in Device Manager.
Disable Serial Comport1 in BIOS.
Change settings on MultiTech card to COM1 and IRQ4 (the usual COM1 IRQ).

Add hardware (MultiTech card) in Device Manager.  Device Manager showed
card on COM1 and IRQ4.
In P233: Loaded DynaStore.
In P3/500: Put serial cable from P233 into MultiTech card.
Run TS4 DataServer w/Comport set to COM1.  No data detected.

I then changed the serial cable to Serial Comport2 in P3.
Ran TS4 DataServer w/Comport set to COM2.  Data detected.

I conclude that changing the MultiTech card from COM3 to COM1 has no
effect on getting it to detect data.

2.  BOB:  In response to Bob's suggestion, I then set both computers'
ports to Xon/Xoff, instead of Hardware (in Device Manager): no effect.

I conclude that changing from Hardware to Xon/Xoff has no effect on
getting the card to detect data.

By the way, the null modem cable is a commercial cable that I bought at
a computer store.  Also, I don't know what type, if any, handshaking
DynaStore uses; its developer, however, says to set both computers to
"Hardware," which is what I routinely do.

3.  TERRY:  Yes, Win98 has a port icon under Control Panel.  Actually,
it is not directly under Control Panel; from Control Panel, one goes to
Systems, and from there to Device Manager.  The Port settings are in
Device Manager.  That is where I have verified that Win98 is detecting
the MultiTech card and where I have set all my port settings in Win98.

Also, under Device Manager, at the very top of the list is an icon
called Computer.  Clicking on that shows all the IRQ settings and how
they are used.  For example, it is easy to see there whether any
particular IRQ setting is already used or available, and if used, how
used and whether any duplication exists.

Gentlemen, I do appreciate all of your interest, help, and suggestions.
Thank you.  Responses like yours, and the care and concern that you all
have shown, are what keep me a daily traveller on the Omega list.  I
wanted this card to work, and even with your continued suggestions and
advice, I have unable to realize that goal.  Heavens knows why I can't
get the card to detect the data.  Maybe it's something in the card, or
maybe in the TS4.23 program I'm using.  My sense is that I have come to
a place where I am now beating a dead horse, so I believe that it is
time for me to let this one go --- kinda like getting stopped-out in a
trade and going on looking for my next one.  Jim, Bob, Terry, and Group,
thank you again.

By the way, I got a note from Andy (ronin) a day or two ago telling me
that he has seen some positive effect from his use of his new
TurboExpress card --- saving some 50 or so ticks per issue daily that he
otherwise would have lost had he been running the data straight into his
serial comport.  His observations suggest that it may be worthwhile to
look for a suitable analog to the Telcor T-Port card after all.  The
MultiTech card, with its 16K of data buffering, looked like it a real
possibility.  With Andy's success and my inability to get the MultiTech
card to work, however, I may need to reconsider the use of the
TurboExpress card.

Sincerely,

Richard