Re: TurboExpress Card [Re: Sad days for data for TS4 traders]

At 11:11 AM -0600 1/22/00, Terry Wyss wrote:

>There are other manufacturers of serial interface cards that have
>buffering. I use a Multitech Intelligent Serial Interface model
>ISI551PC. It has 32k bytes of ram, has physical jumpers to set the
>IRQ's, is an ISA card, transmits at 115.2K bps, can be accessed by
>anything that would use a UART 16550. Mine has been reliable and is a
>couple years old. The ISI processor on the card [to quote the manual]
>"handles all of the byte-by-byte interrupts generated by the
>asychronous terminals and stores the data in buffers. The ISI then
>generates one interrupt for an entireblock of information and
>transfers the block to the system's microprocessor." There are faster
>cards with larger buffers, but they are probably overkill.

I found the information at

   <http://www.multitech.com/products/FamilyHomePages/tn.asp?ID=24#more>

There appear to be two series of cards, the older 500 series cards mentioned above and a newer 600 series cards. The older series is ISA/EISA bus while the newer series has both ISA and PCI versions

600-Series Features
  Four or eight buffered serial ports
  Sustained data rates to 460.8K per port
  Drivers for Windows 95/98/2000, Windows NT, Citrix, Novell,
     SCO, Linux, and Multi-Tech RASExpress
  PCI- and ISA-bus models available
  256K RAM buffer

   Model              Description
   ISI4604-PCI        4-Port Serial Card (PCI)
   ISI4608-PCI        8-Port Serial Card (PCI)
   ISI4608            8-Port Serial Card (ISA)

500-Series Features
   One or two COM ports
   Sustained data rates to 115.2K per port
   Operating-system independent for flexible compatibility
   ISA-bus
   32K Bytes RAM buffer per port

   Model              Description
   ISI552             Dual COM-Port Card (ISA)
   ISI551             COM-Port Card (ISA)

A 32K byte buffer would store about 8 seconds worth of BMI 38.4K baud data which should certainly be sufficient for most purposes.

No prices and no on-line sales that I could see but they will refer you to dealers. Their phone number is 1-800-328-9717. The office is closed today.

Bob Fulks