Data Buffering [Re: TurboExpress Card]

Dear Dennis and Group,

I regret any inference that performance could be improved merely by using a
high-speed serial port card instead of the standard serial port.  My
multi-year experience with BMI satellite data, however, showed me on a daily
basis that an auxiliary serial card having increased data buffering capacity
resulted in significantly increased capture of ticks that were otherwise
lost when using the standard serial port.  The card that Ii and many others
used for this was made by Telcor Systems and known as a "Telcor T-Port"
card.  Unfortunately, their T-Port card worked only with Win 3.11 --- when
Win95 appeared, Telcor tried gallantly to develop drivers for Win95 and
their T-Port card but were unsuccessful.  Telcor has since gone out of
business.

My interest in the TurboExpress card is not in its capacity for high-speed,
but in its capacity to act as a buffer for its data throughput, in other
words, to hang on to and save a burst of data at its port and wait for the
port to subsequently clear so that the saved data can then pass.  My
observations with the T-Port card repeatedly showed me that without that
card, such buffered data would otherwise be lost.

I have searched extensively for a "data buffering" serial port card without
success.  What I have found, however, are "high speed" serial port cards,
which, coincidentally, have data buffering, the TurboExpress card being one
example.  The data buffering capacity is what I am after, not the increased
speed.

Sincerely,

Richard