Re: [Omega Abandons TS2000i]

Patrick -

I don't agree with your analysis. Tradestation.com will probably be TS2k
together with an internet feed. There will be dual pricing; one price for the
package, another if you already own TS2k. The former will have major updates
included in the price, the latter will continue to pay for major updates.

It would be foolish of Omega to (1) ignore their current customer base as a
potential monthly revenue source; (2) design a new program incompatible with
TS2k; and (3) ignore the program sales revenue. The customer base for
sophisticated trading software is quite modest and it would be very risky to
totally upset the current business model based on sales alone. The move to
Tradestation.com was predicated on the favorable economics of Internet
distribution and the difficulty of meeting revenue and profit expectations on
specialized software alone. The pressures on a public company are quite
distinct from those on a private company. In fact, I am convinced that TS2k
was pushed out the door prematurely in order to beef up the P&L, which was
languishing, and to move into the growth market of stock traders.

"Patrick" <vibri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Omega List,
>
> MY OPINION ON WHAT IS HAPPENING AT O.R.:
> I didn't put 2 and 2 together after Omega Research purchased WOW and again
> didn't put it together after they publicly announced they were abandoning
> SuperCharts2000.  But finally I have put all the pieces together.  Omega
> Research is now preparing to abandon TradeStation2000i in exchange for
> TradeStation.com.  Omega Research will still sell TradeStation2000i until
> they see how customers respond to TradeStation.com, and if it is successful
> TradeStation2000i will be dropped.  The people who run Omega Research have
> come to the conclusion that their company will not increase in value if
they
> remain a standard software company because they can not get their flagship
> program working properly.  Their only hope is to abandon the standard
> run-on-the-customers-PC-software and go with Internet software.  Without
> this change OR stock will stay low and slow.
>

> WHAT THIS MEANS FOR TS2000 USERS:
> As we have all seen in the past, upgrades and new features prevent new
> versions of EasyLanguage code from working with the old version of
> TradeStation.  This means we will still be making payments for TS2000i
which
> is made obsolete by the changes in the EasyLanguage code used with
> TradeStation.com.  How long before TradeStation.com EasyLanguage code is
not
> longer compatible with TS2000i? Right from the start, six months, one year?
> Who knows.  *******Are we going to be making payments for TradeStation2000i
> and monthly payments for TradeStation.com at the same time?*******  The
fact
> that OR is switching to TradeStation.com so fast after the release of
> TradeStation2000i is starting to make me feel screwed and I am probably one
> of Omega Research's most loyal admirers.
>

> My venting for the year
> Patrick.

jfb
shaven heads trading