From: Kent Rollins [mailto:kentr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 17 January 2000 07:25
To: OmegaList
Subject: Re: NT with MORE THAN 2 CPU's? RAM Disks?

So true.  And even if you had an Alpha, you would not see any performance
benefit unless you were doing global weather simulations, synthetic nuclear
explosions, complex protein folding studies, or large-scale,
vector-formatted neural nets.  Even if you add a second CPU....even if you
add a RAM disk....even if you defrag your hard drive.

If you have 128MB of RAM, a fast CPU and a modern hard drive, you cannot do
anything else to your hardware to improve the performance of TS4.  You can
only get further speed increases by expending mental energy against your
systems to make them faster.  I know no one wants to hear this, but it's the
truth.

People overlook a very simple fact when they start drooling over a RAM disk:
NT performs disk caching with all available memory.  If you have 512MB in
your system and TS4 and NT together only take up 50MB, you effectively have
a 462MB RAM disk.  If you start taking away system memory from NT and your
other applications, they have to swap out their data segments to disk and
any gain you got from the RAM disk is more than lost by paging.

Kent