RE: off topic: NT partition types

  • To: nchrisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: off topic: NT partition types
  • From: Ian MacAuslan <imacauslan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:18:51 -0800

Chris
I'd highly recommend switching to NTFS file system.  It has a number of
advantages and should be faster except--possibly--on smaller partition
hard disks.  FAT is a dinosaur from DOS days, has no fault tolerance,
stored its file directory in an extremely inefficient place on the disk
(especially as disks got larger)and made obscenely inefficient use of
disk space (again, especially as disks got larger).  Then with Win95,
Microsoft's elegant solution was "VFAT", a gross kludge of FAT to
accomodate long filenames, and in a way that would be incompatible with
IBM's OS/2 (which was at that time a pretty decent 32-bit OS, and hence
potential threat to Microsoft).  FAT was then "modernized" into its
32-bit incarnation, FAT32.  Its principle advantage over FAT16 is it
makes more efficent use of physical space on large disks.  Great, you
now no longer have a dinosaur.  You have something capable of
functioning, albeit with little grace, in the modern world.  Say, a
crocodile.

Dump FAT.
Ian

ps:  You can use NT's CONVERT utility to convert FAT16 to NTFS.  If you
want maximum flexibility I'd suggest getting Partition Magic-about $40.
It lets you convert back and forth, adds FAT32 capability also, lets you
resize partitions, etc.  Very flexible.