RE: Stock broker API...

I did some trading with Cyber-X and I saw our instructor do some live
trading with CyberTrader when I was at the online trading academy boot
camp.  In both cases, typical time between hitting the button to send off
the trade and when you get a confirmation that the trade has gone through
is less than 1 s for high volume stocks like MSFT or DELL.  For slower
trading stocks, it depends on how long it takes for the ECN computers to
get a buy/sell order in at the appropriate price but typically it is less
than 10s.     Of course, if you're trading stocks whose total daily volume
is less than about 400000 shares, you can sometimes wait 30 seconds or more
before someone takes your offer or sells you their shares.  That is not the
fault of the software, though.

For  Cyber Smart Market or Smart Limit orders where Cyber-X or CyberTrader
looks around for you and takes the best deal it can find, the time to
confirmation is about 3 seconds typically.  Of course, if you're trying to
short something that is dropping like a rock, you can be prevented from
getting short by the uptick rule, and if you direct an order to a
particular market maker, they can, and will, if it is to their advantage,
ignore your order.   They are legally allowed to ignore you for 10 seconds,
but I've seen them do it for much longer.   I've asked about this and the
concensus seems to be that there is not much that you can do as an
individual investor about such shenanigans.  If you complain, the market
maker will say he just got too busy and the SEC folks will let it go at
that.  A rule of thumb, I've learned is to cancel your order and put in
another one if you don't get a fill within 10s.  It doesn't cost you
anything to put in an order unless it gets filled.   In the trading course,
they tell you to look for ECNs (particularly ISLD) on the other side of
your trade so you have a quick way to get out of a trade if it goes against
you and to be very hesitant to get into a trade where there are only Market
Makers on the level II screen.

I'm on a cable modem through @home.  My typical download rate during
business hours is about 40kbytes/s.   I've seen it go to as high as 97
kbytes/second.  At night when all the internet game players get going,
things slow down considerably (7 to 8 kbytes/second)

Regards,
Ullrich