From: Richard Josslin [mailto:TaoOfDow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 6:16 PM
To: itradesp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dynastore & Signal Server

Dear Matt,

My experience:

itradesp@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>         I'm wondering if there was anyone who uses Dynastore with
> Qfeed, would assist me in the transition from TS4 BMI server to
> TS4 Signal server. Dynastore uses the Signal server from within
> Tradestation 4.0 which transmits at 19.2 baud rate.
>
>         Do you have to create a whole new portfolio and Symbol
> Universe again for the Signal server in TS4??

Generally, yes.  The symbols for BMI and Signal are tenerally not the
same, except for stocks.  For indeces, Signal adds a $ to the BMI symbol
(example, INDU in BMI, $INDU in Signal).  For futures, Signal adds a
space (SP0Z in BMI, SP 0Z in Signal).

> I ordered the Null
> modem cable that is needed for both comports, and would like to
> know what else is needed or has to be done to get the ball rolling.

I have used TS4 with DynaStore both in the same computer as DynaStore
and in a separate, dedicated computer, and I recommend the latter.  In
my experience, I have fewer crashes with TS4 in its own box.

In the attempt to lessen the number of crashes still, I have purchased a
high-speed, data buffered, serial port card, and now plug the null-modem
cable into it instead of into a ComPort in the second computer.  So far
(albeit only one day), I have yet to get a crash using the serial card.
The card I use is a TurboExpress Port 920 card from Pacific CommWare,
for $80. See   http://www.turbocom.com   or call 541 482 2744.

I and others have experienced crashes (or the data stopping dead in the
water) from time to time with DynaStore and TS4.  Those occur usually at
the open of the market and at other times of high market volatility.
I've attempted to lessen the probability for crashes not only by using
the serial card but also by gathering data for only few issues (3
indeces, 3 futures, 2 stocks).  That seems to work for me.  I would
caution, however, planning on using DynaStore and TS4 if you plan on
such as INDU and the more volatille stocks, such as MSFT, have.

I attempted to get around the problem with TS4 and DynaStore by using
Ensign for eSignal.  Yes, it works and is inexpensive --- only $30
monthly.  It has to be used in the same computer as DynaStore, however,
and it also has nowhere near as easy a programming language as does TS4
(EasyLanguage).  For those reasons, I did not pursue it further.

I wish you well in your new adventure.

Sincerely,

Richard