Re: anyone know how to create own custom lists?

Hmm.  I've done this several times without a hitch.  It really is a
one-minute procedure on my installation.

> Placed the directory in "d:\Program files\Omega Research"

That is probably the problem.  You need a subdirectory, there:
D:\program Files\Omega Research\Custom Symbol Lists\

Does that subdirectory already exist?  It did for me.

If that doesn't work for you, I can send you one of my files directly, just
in case there is some difference in the type of text file you are creating
(I doubt it, though.)

> I agree that exchange seems as uneccessary information, but what metastock
> directory the files are in must be specified somewhere?

Sorry, I use BMI, and don't know anything about Metastock.  I rather doubt
it matters in this case.  Omega says the exchange is optional, and I've
tried it both ways with no problem.

>I am using SP2, is this a feature introduced later?
I don't know.  I started with SP3 and moved on to SP4, under which version I
got around to trying the feature.

--Chris