Re: new yr give away Was: Bonds tanking

At 09:01 AM 1/3/00 -0500, Lawrence Chan wrote:
>Anyone has all the historical rate hike data?
>I got not much, about past 20 years.
>Since the crash of 1987 ... The Fed always follow what
>the bond market do with a discount - with a lead of at least
>3 months.
>i.e. if the bond sell to a new lower level, Fed will rate hike.
>Fed wait to see if the bond "stay" at a level before adjusting
>their rate to the new level!

1. Market perceives Fed will hike, bond dives.
2. Fed perceives Market going for higher long term rates, Fed follows.

Offhand, I think it is impossible to discern between the two hypothesis??
At least using just price data alone. (Even with my lower "standards"
of rigour, I take natural experiments as establishing causal relationship)
Any challenge to this position much appreciated.

I remember reading a wire a couple of years ago. It went something like this.
The S&P floor traders said they saw the dollar rallying and bought the S&Ps.
A couple of lines down ...
The fx market said they saw the S&P rallying and they bought the dollar.
Was a good laugh. Unfortunately, I did have the sense to print out the article.

How about bonds tanking and commodities rallying as the business cycle
topping out?

B4 I forget.
Happy New Year all.