RE: TS2k observations

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Brian Massey wrote:

> mine was, and it sounds like it is, then the problem boils down to a design
> flaw in the GlobalServer.

One of several, but that's another post or two...

> That's the bad news the good news is once you
> know what the problem is there's a work around.

Don't think so for my case :-(( - read on...

> GlobalServer deletes any data past the current date minus how many days of
> daily and intraday data you've specified for that symbol.  The amount of
> space allocated for daily data per symbol is i think 5000.  The default
> amount of space allocated for intraday is 15 days.

True. Since I like to keep long tick histories, I set the default to 200
days of ticks, with selected symbols having more, as needed.

> If you have more than 15 days of tick data in your TS4 data file being
> imported, GS will stick it all in the TS5 symbol and you can work with it.
> But then it will hack off all but 15 days (or however many days of intraday
> data you've specified to store) of it when it does maintenance at night.

True, this is why I reset the defaults, and changed the settings.

> In my case, I was importing from TS4 export file.

This is what I've been doing too.

> When importing data using
> this approach, I would expect GS to ** automatically ** adjust the intraday
> setting to accommodate all the intraday data that's being imported.

That's what I expected too, especially since it seems to say that it will
do that.

>  GS behavior is
> inconsistent -- first it sticks it all in there, then it deletes it.  Give
> me a break.

It *is* very inconsistent, that's true.

I have been importing and using the data from TS4, as you describe. The
contracts were OK with my changed defaults up until 1/1/2000 - I had the
long tick data in there and have been using it in charts. I powered down
for the date change, started up again in 2000, and the data was gone. I
checked to see if the #days had changed, but they are still as I set them
(200+ days).

I really appreciate your suggestions, but something else seems to be going
on. Any other ideas???

Thanks,

Larry