Fw: TSY2K SP3

From: NHBob
To: Bob Fulks ; omega-list
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 1999 12:46 AM
Subject: Re: TSY2K SP3

After getting the OEM version of NT4 preinstalled on my new system, I had
the sense to pony up the few extra bucks for the retail version for my other
machine; ie I got 90 days free MS tech support.  the MS tech I hooked up
with are without a doube the best of any software support I've ever
encountered.  Several suggested a "flat" install,(& walked me thru the whole
process including dual-boot with an 11 gig NTFS partition, 2 gig W98 FAT16,
and configuring my old W98 FAT32 C drive to slave D) wherein a new directory
called NTflat is created then all appropriate CD files are copied to it so
the CD is never used again when you need a new driver,dll or other file.
All this stuff is apparently in the I386 directory on the CD, so you just
copy it to the new directory on the C drive.  Whenever NT asks for the CD to
be put in, just point to the NTflat directory.  Besides the convenience, you
can update NTflat, whereas you can't the CD when patches come out.  Works in
W98 for W98flat too, just different files.

Not sure this is all coherent, I'm on the road in Phoenix and badly
jet-lagged.  Let me know if clarification is in order.
Bob Howe