Re: multimonitor trading set up

Mark,

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Brown <markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: multimonitor trading set up

> > This is the board I have. I am using two Celeron 300A's overclocked to
450
> Regards,
> >
> > Ivan
>
> Ivan, I built two Abits and 8 Soyo's none of them required me to increase
> the voltage to overclock to 450.

Same here.

>I have four fans in each to keep it kool,
> I like the Soyo's for performance.   But I like the voltage menu (in case
> you need it) that the Abit's have.

I had to download a special version of MotherBoard Monitor for my use - the
one that ships with the abit is worthless. Even the updated one gives the
wrong voltage on the second CPU.

> With the celery prices at 60.00 you can
> still get the Malaysia or the Costa Rica chips.

Not so fast! Have you seen what's going on since the EarthQuake!?

>   I have no found one that
> wouldn't overclock with good kooling!

Yes, up to a point. In order to get past 500 MHz, you need the chips you
specify above and the best coolers. I am not willing to risk it with a
trading machine.

>    I gave up buying expensive latest
> greatest CPU's

I am not quite there. I would instantly buy a 64 bit Intel processor if it
became available. Also, Xeons are useful in > 4 way systems - to say nothing
of the large cache. The Profusion architecture is also something that would
entice me to look at a new CPU. But who the heck is going to pay $5000 per
CPU unless you are a large trading house? Omega should make 2000i
clusterable. This would end most of the need for faster CPU's. Huhm, sorry
for getting carried away, let's let them get the easy stuff right first!

>I now overcome with multiples of computers hooked to a
> couple of KVM switches what a blast, flipping through these.

I have one of these also, but not for trading as speed is everything to me.

>   Might wanna
> wear sunglasses or learn to blink in coordination when hitting the hot
key.
> This eliminates the need to have so many keyboards, monitors and mice and
> allows me to concentrate better/faster.    I have sound alerts wake me up
> when my attention is on some other computer, a quick flip and I have it
up.

:)

> Mark

Regards,