RE: TraderWareX Release

It would certainly be great to have an alternative to
omega, but all of that of david vs. goliath seems very
nice in paper, but it rarely (if ever) works.

> 1) an open programming platform with non-proprietary
> coding
It requires almost a genius to be at the right place,
at the right time, with the right contacts to develope
a good enough product-marketting-alliances-etc that
will not leave you with a big '-' in your bank account
and a few people with free software... I'll explain as
I go. That is why there has been one Sun, one Red Hat,
and little (if any) others out there that have done
anything significant out of thousands of companies in
the market.

> 2) good technical support that caters to both
> amateur and professional -
There is good support because its one person
supporting ten guys that are using the product. You
almost have to wish (as a user) for the product to not
be successful in order to maintain the level of
support. As soon as you need more people to support
more users, quality of support suffers. But if the
product does not sell and it does not become popular,
it probably means that there is some problem with it.
This is the first catch 22

> 3) continuous, reliable and timely upgrades....not
> ones that make you
Similar to point 2, if the popularity of the product
grows, more problems(bugs) and suggestions (wish
lists) will come up, and upgrade frequency and
timeliness will be hit.
Also, it is all very manageble when dealing with start
up numbers, but a 'david' will probably not have a
good quality assurance staff (if it will have qa at
all) and beta testers get hit with all the big bugs in
the first beta, the medium bugs in the second beta,
and small bugs in the third. Thus ending in delaying
significantly the release of anything new. That is
what apparently is hapenning now with MB.
THis is catch 22 #2.

In general, every aspect of the software business will
present that problem of "its good because its small,
but if it IS good it will not be small for long, and
it will turn bad when its not small anymore"...

These are my 2 pennies, anyways...

=====