Re: Windows NT security and NETBIOS

> I went to http://www.dslreports.com/r3/dsl/secureme as recommended
> by Gary Fritz.  After running the security scan, it suggested to
> disconnect NETBIOS. So I went into the control panel under Network
> in Windows NT and removed NETBIOS.
>
> After doing that, I got error 720 upon dialing my ISP which said I
> had no PPP protocals configured.

I am no expert on this stuff, but here is my understanding of how it
is supposed to work:

TCP/IP is a "routable" protocol.  That means it can be routed from
one node to another -- e.g. across the Internet.

NetBEUI is a "non-routable" protocol -- so it CAN'T be routed across
the internet, only locally on your network.

If you have a modem/cable/DSL connection to the net, and a local
network of 10baseT or whatever, you can "bind" different protocols to
each adapter (modem or LAN card).  You can bind TCP/IP to the Net
connection, so you have full routable TCP/IP capabilities via the
Internet.  Then you can bind NetBEUI to your LAN, so YOU have full
local access to shared files &etc, *but* hackers on the net can NOT
route from the net through to your LAN.  There are other details but
that's the gist of it.

Doing that is a bit of a trick and beyond the scope of this list.  I
suggest you go to Steve Gibson's MOST excellent site at
http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 .  Steve has an exhaustive but very
clear and lucid explanation of the whole situation, along with
instructions on how to configure your system.

If you have detailed questions, Steve has set up a discussion group
at http://grc.com/x/chat.exe?cmd=xover&group=shieldsup&utag= , or you
can point your newsreader at news server grc.com, group "shieldsup".

Gary