RE: reclaiming memory; David Elden's tips, etc.

   I used to use my bigger machines for (day-)trading. Now I use
my smallest machine for this purpose. 12 MB RAM and 5% CPU
usage are adequate.
   I also used TS2ki under WinNT with 196MB RAM. The good
thing with TS2Ki was, that it used on average only 12% CPU-time
(compared to the 90% with TS4) and only 110 MB RAM. Annoying
with WinNT is for me that from time to time NT does its
housekeeping and the system freezes.

CPU-usage:
   I found a way to make TS4-Server grab less CPU-time: Open any
menu or subwindow. E.g. I open the Omega Server main-window
and place it into the lower right screen corner, 99% of it off-screen,
so that just its upper left corner with the "FILE"-menu is visible;
then I open the "Printer Setup"-window and shift that too off-screen.
   The effect: during the night, Omega Server for Signal uses one
minute CPU Time out of 9 hours. During daytrading a streamlined
Omega Server for Signal uses on average 3% to 5% of the CPU
time, TS4-Charting uses less than 1%. My dozen optimization-,
diagnostic- and productivity-utlilities sitting in the system-tray use
more CPU-time than TS4. (according to  WinTop of the KernelToys)
   That gives me the opportunity to use "Rain 1.0" or "Waterfall Pro
2.99" (http://cpu.simplenet.com/leading_wintech/) to put the CPU
to sleep during the 90% of the time it's not used. According to
"Motherboard Monitor 4.01 B1"
(http://www.chello.nl/~a.vankaam/mbm/) the CPU-temperature falls
from 116 degrees F to 88.

Memory:
   I used for years FreeMem Professional and liked it; now I prefer
"WinRam-Booster Professional 99" (http://www.totalidea.com/).
During daytrading with TS4 (build 23) just 12 to 20 MB RAM are
used and 40 to 52 of the available 64 MB are free.

    Since TS4 is for me much more userfriendly ( I prefer to use the
keyboard instead of the mouse) I switched back from TS2ki under
WinNT to TS4 (build 23) under Win98 SE and use Quote.Com
instead of eSignal. The dedicated system unit is dirt cheap (a AMD
K2-450 for $100 and 64 MB RAM) compared to my SXGA LCD
monitors and graphics cards..

Klaus Malzahn