Re: Reducing the size of EXE 's

The Omega Man had written:

>One of the keys to reducing the size of your EasyLanguage executable (and
avoiding the need to write a dll) is reducing the number of inputs and
variables you use.
>Also, try to reduce or eliminate the use of functions which have a large
number of inputs.
>Also, remember that many of Omega's built-in functions have not been
optimized for size so you may be able to create your own, smaller versions
of them.

You have begun to answer my questions in your interesting reply that I have
summarized
above, but let me ask you to elaborate.  Many of the Omega-supplied
functions include a
lot of extraneous "stuff" - the commentary that newbies can all up to
explain what it means
to have one moving average cross another - or whatever.  But, for those who
simply want the
function to return the value of the m.a., this commentary code is not used.
I assume that
the code required to support that feature counts toward the 64K limit.  And,
that this is
what you mean by ".....you may be able to create your own, smaller versions
of them."

It seems that I recall hearing that if a system/indicator calls the same
function from
multiple places, then that function's size is counted multiple times.  I
suppose that
has to do with the "simple vs. series" thing, where series functions need to
retain the
prior values of variables.  Does that imply that multiple calls to a simple
function
would not result in its being counted multiple times?  Is the E.L. compiler
that
clever?

It's interesting that named variables count toward the 64K, but "Value1" and
"Condition1"
-style variables do not.  Does that suggest that Value1 is a simple, and not
a series
variable?  Ie, is a statement like: X = Value1[1]; valid?

Thanks

Jay Mackro