Re: TS 2000i and VB

Answers to your questions with a leading ***

> But also I noticed that when I execute your code from VB6, it works fine,
> strange isn't it?

*** This is exactly what I found. If you let it run for a longer period in
VB6 IDE, you may find that it has a problem after a while too. When it shut
down it VB6, sometimes it just closed down the whole VB app and left no
trace of an error message.

> I read the example shown in the developer's kit, but it's somewhat
> incomplete.
> We should have all the possibilities explained with an example.

*** I'm afraid that it isn't very well documented. (surprise). The basics of
the language are found in the Omega Developer's Kit under the following
topics:

Extracting Data from the GlobalServer
    GlobalServer Query Language
        TheBasic Components

Study the chart. This is all they give to understand the query language. The
language consists of:

Transaction type
    Request (One time transaction)
    Advise   (Updating Transactions)

Fields
    Represented by numbers depending on the QUERY TYPE you choose. The
fields are located under

Extracting Data from the GlobalServer
    GlobalServer Query Language
        Query Types
            Time
            Symbol_List
            Feedinfo
            Serverinfo
            Symbol_Data (Used to get Bid Ask, last, etc. info from the Glob
Serv)
            News

>From  - This is a keyword that you must use

Query Type - Use one of the above Query types - for instance Symbol_Data to
look at the field 0 which is the last field. Etc.

Where - This is a keyword you must use

Conditions - To get a specific symbol do: 31 = "IBM" etc.

> Fields:
> Although Patrick found a lot of them, does anyone know how to get the
entire
> list of the fields?
> For example, 17 is the Exchange name.
> How did you find 192 = ticks?
> Manually, by entering the numbers in the query?

*** See answer above

> Data Feed ID:
> Does the datafeed ID depend on the provider?
> I use DBC broadcast and 31 works fine for me
> Which data feed provider do you have?

*** look at conditions above. Study the documents that I listed above for
conditions.

> Conditions:
> Do you have any idea of all what we can put here?
> In Omega's sample it's the symbol name
>
> 2. How do we incorporate a Visual Basic User Document in an ORW workspace?

*** I have no idea.

> 3. Did you understand the difference between a synchronous and an
> asynchronous
> connection?
> Does synchronous mean that your query is updated each time the
GlobalServer
> receives a new piece of data?
> And for asynchronous, is the update made only once when using the query?

*** Synchronous is like a computer modem connection, asynchronous is like a
radio station broadcasting quotes. UNFORTUNATELY: the only one that works
for ongoing communication with the Advise transaction type is Asynchronous.

> Greetings from Paris,
> Philippe

Patrick White