Volume bars?

I just noticed something odd with "Volume Bars" on my TS4.

My understanding of Volume Bars is that it's basically 100x a Tick
chart, so that a 2-"Volume" bar chart is equivalent to 200-tick bars.
I think.  The documentation isn't real clear on this, but it's always
looked pretty similar in the past.

Now, though, if I display a 1-"Volume" chart of DSP9U, it looks
normal until 7/30.  Then from 8/2 on it shows 0 volume and one "bar"
for each day at 4:14.  100-tick charts display normally and have
normal volume.

I actually noticed this with a chart that had been displayed for
several days.  It had a cluster of 1-bar days around 8/2 through 8/6,
then the data displayed normally from 8/9 through today.  But when I
reformatted the chart and displayed it again, the normal data
displayed from 8/9 on was replaced with the 1-bar days.  Apparently
it's displaying differently in realtime than with historic data.

Several symbols acted this way, although several did not.  I notice
that I have the offending symbols set to "Save LAST only", and the
working ones all seem to be "Save LAST AND VOLUME".  I've always
wondered why that setting didn't seem to work, i.e. it stored the
volume even if it was "LAST only," but it almost seems like it's
started working in the last few days!?  But Tick charts still show
the volume??

Can someone explain to me what's going on here?

Thanks,
Gary