Re: closing data different than price data?

At 10:43 05/08/99 +0200, you wrote:

>> Would anyone happen to know why I sometimes get conflicting closing
>> price data.  I am using Ts4 with Bmi data.  Very often the price bar
>> close is different than the closing price data @ the top of the screen.
>> For example Aol's close today on the chart is 87.25, while @ the top of
>> the screen the close states 87.75.  Same thing with the dsp9u - I have
>> 1309.50 close on the chart compared to a close noted @ 1309.00@ the top of
>> the screen.

This is the difference between the last tick received via your data vendor
and the official "settlement" price.  In the closing 60 seconds of any
market there is what the exchanges officially call a "closing range" of
prices.  This closing range is due to the fact that so many orders are being
filled in the dying seconds. Technically, any price in this closing range
can be considered the close.  But the exchanges like to designate just one
price for the close, so they transmit a "settlement" price (the middle of
the range I believe) about 15 minutes after the markets have closed.

This is why the last tick on the final bar can be different to the price at
the top of your chart (which is in fact the settlement price transmitted 15
mins after the close).  If you want to be a chart purist, you can manually
edit the last tick on the bar chart to make it the same as the settlement price!

Simon.