Re: Off topic....

Among other comments, Ullrich Fischer opined:

>The authorities knew this nut (not Mark Brown) had already killed one of
his
>families a couple of years ago, just couldn't prove it beyond a reasonable
>doubt.

Ullrich, I'm a long way from being a gun nut.  The only firearm I've ever
owned
was a .22 rifle that I gave away for lack of interest about 25 years ago,
and I
do not expect ever to own another.  And I have nothing but sympathy at your
horror over this idiot's misdeeds.  But I have to take issue with you over
the
statement above.  The one thing that makes this a relatively safe, free
country is that the authorities can't take away your freedoms over something
that they "know, but can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt."  Guilt by
suspicion is the stuff of police states, and the moment this country buys
into
it, I'll have to start wondering whether the gun nuts had the right idea
after all.

Owen Davies