Re: Strange List Message Truncations

"Carroll Slemaker" <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx> asks:
>Is anyone else seeing the following on messages read from the Digest?
>
>Some replies to earlier messages have at the end "so-and-so wrote:"
>followed by nothing.
>
>One post of mine appeared twice, with the same time stamp.  The first
>appearance, however, was truncated to just the first paragraph.
>
>Is there a new function active which attempts to strip from a reply
>all material quoted from the original?

Some time ago, I installed a filter on the digest version of the list
which strips quoted replies if they're long enough to get the filter's
attention.  Since so many list posters can't seem to refrain from
quoting entire threads, or adding a single line of congratulation
to someone else's article, this filter is an attempt to give some
relief to the digest subscribers, who become frustrated at reading
the same material over and over and over.  The repetition shrinks
the meaningful content of the digest and defeats its purpose.

Sometimes the filter gets fooled, however, as in Carroll's post
mentioned above.  When the first word of a line is "From" it is
indistinguishable from the "envelope-sender" line of an email,
so email processing software escapes it by adding a ">" before
it.  Since ">" is one sign of quotation, the filter cut off
Carroll's post at that point.  Later, I saw the filter's mistake,
and forwarded the whole thing on to the digest.

The filter leaves the "so-and-so-wrote:" tag as a guide to which
string of quoted articles the poster is referring to.  Since it's
just one extra line, it seems like a harmless addition, and might
even be of some use.

--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list