Oscillator Numbers - how do you pick them?

I'm new to TA and TS2000i.  So far I'm having a lot of fun studying
everything and trying to apply what I've learned.  But... I'd like to know
how most people pick the numbers to use in the Indicators.

For instance, if I'm watching Yahoo and I want to use Momentum and MACD -
how do I pick what numbers would be proper?  Sure, I could run optimize on a
study based on these functions but isn't that fitting the curve and
therefore produces "bad" results?

Thanks

Joe