Re: Non Linear Pricing Theory & Applications

be careful......you're trying to apply a linear control process
(negative or error correcting) closed feedback loop to a nonlinear
system. linear may be in a special case of nonlinear. i'm thinking
about when an predictable event (fed announcement) produces a chaotic
and unpredictable reaction (resonating price shocks in bonds or s&p).
depending upon the frequency response of your controller (lag), the
command law you're trying to model, and your error correcting feedback
loop to the input, you might inadverently blow up your system by
setting up over- and undercompensating cycles triggered by the spurious
events. i've seen it happen many times in materials testing using
automated servomechanisms.

depending on your time frame, you might want to prefilter your data
with a kalman filter and eliminate much of the noise. or better yet,
formulate a kalman filter that adapts over time to changes in the noise
characteristics. that's assuming, of course, that you're dealing with a
linear system.

TJ

maybe we can mosey over to the ati list and pursue this further....i've
been thinking about this since 92.