Y2k patch CANNOT be Y2k compliant - TS2000 also?

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Dennis Holverstott wrote:

> what happens if you add some number of days to a date?
>   juliantodate(datetojulian(19991231)+1)

Another thought: Note that the date above requires 8 digits. Single
precision is normally only 7 digits. If dates are read as numbers in Easy
Language, it will *NOT* be possible to make EL Y2k compliant, simply
because there are more digits in the YYYYMMDD format than can be
represented by single precision.

One could, I suppose, put together a kludge in which dates are handled as
strings, but it does mess up adding and subtracting a bit (forget
multiplying or dividing :-).

The lack of double precision strikes again - big time.

Is TS2k EL also single precision? If so, might have a problem there too.
Anyone checked out the date routines in TS2k to see if they function OK
with a date of YYYYMMDD? Someone should test this soon - TS2k might NOT be
Y2k compliant after all...

Anyone else want double precision, besides me? Should users insist on it?
With good floating point processors available, most math is not much
slower. How about it, Omega?

Larry Wright