Re: HELP NEEDED - $SPX as proxy for SP and ES Futures

  • To: <OatTrader@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED - $SPX as proxy for SP and ES Futures
  • From: "Axiom One" <axiom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:04:41 -0700

Hi Jim and other list members,

Let me paraphrase ur method. U rename SP H9 to SP M9 (for e.g.) in global
server just b4 the former's expiry. Then u collected/imported data for SP M9
either through your data feed vendor or omega's ftp or historybank.com. I
have already downloaded the entire batch of intraday *.omz for my previous
tests but I did not piece the 3-mth contracts together into a continuous
series. The data availible from omega dates back to May 1998. I doubt if 1
year of intraday data is enough. Presuming I were to use ur method and
string the data together, I would need to do the renaming and importing 4
times for each year. My target data length is 10 years. In that case, I
would have to rename and import 40 times. Global Server is not exactly well
known for speed. I would love to import all the contracts at once and cut &
paste in Global Server but I don't think this can be done. Therefore, I
would have to adopt ur renaming method.

Are there more efficient ways to piece the 3-mth contracts together in a
more efficient way in TS2K? Are there data vendors who sell a continuous
string of futures ticks in a single file?

My method of using $SPX (index) as a proxy is admittedly a lazy way out but
there are several replies from list members that it has its merits.

There were 2 or 3 suggestions that I use the index as data 1 and the futures
as data 2. Then take signals from data 1 to trade data 2. Currently, my
system works splendidly on the index but the results for individual 3-month
contracts were quite dismal. Therefore, how would taking a signal from the
index to trade the futures help? Please pardon my inability to understand
this method. Isn't this similar to running the system on the futures itself?
Maybe, you guys would like to elaborate on how it would work.

Finally, I would like to thank all for the many kind and insightful replies
from the Omega List and the MB's Code List. I earnestly hope that more
assistance would be coming my way. Thank you, all.

-a1