Re: Prosuite 2000i problems

  • To: Bing Guan <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Prosuite 2000i problems
  • From: ribau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:04:33 -0700

>>Hi,
>>
>>A few people at Omega Research are tracking the problems you mentioned in
>>the emails. If you have more detailed information about how the crash of GS
>>and TS2000 happened with Windows98 would you please tell us so we can try to
>>duplicate the problems in house and find out the reason in order to fix
>>them.
>>For DTN real time datafeed users, every time the GlobalServer is opened or
>>restarted, symbols in portfolio need to wait for process code from DTN
>>receiver to begin collecting data. It may take some time. We will let GS
>>request process code in later service pack to address this issue.
>>Thank you very much for your input and appreciate your further contribution.
>>
>>Bing Guan
>>Quality Assurance
>>Omega Research, Inc.
>>
>>The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
>>which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>>material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
>>taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
>>entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
>>this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
>>computer.

Thanks for the invite, Bing, but no thanks. I'm not interested in wasting
more time beta testing TS5. The program in its current build is not capable
of displaying charts reliably for intraday trading. Someone on the Omega
List made this observation:

	 "It will 'NEVER' in its present state - with no server of its own
 	be as good as TS4.   Its the difference between driving Indy with a
	race car and driving Indy with a rent car. Omega is essentially
	renting the server from someone (the data vendors) who has no clue
	about the serious demands of a professional trader." mb

Yesterday, Saturday, I again tried to launch TS5 on a 266MHz P2 128Mb SDRAM
BMI cable totally naked machine...GS (61 symbols) comes up saying RT status
is "Connected," BMI's Data Manager says: "Reception NODATA, Password NONE,"
maybe it really is the Rent-a-Server that's screwing everything up...I
don't know or care...don't forget, I also have tried TS5 on a 450Mhz P2
256Mb SDRAM with the same problems...look in your logs, I've worked with
Tech Support several times over extended periods of time until they had
nothing further to offer...I do not believe I am alone, and I'm not willing
to waste more time with Tech Support...do your own testing or put me on the
payroll.

I trade equities intraday, and can consistently make money if I can see
what the markets I trade are doing, but not only is TS5 flaky on weekends,
it stops responding totally during RT trading and that is not acceptable.
Omega knows the software performs sluggishly and does not run on Win98 even
though it is advertised to do so, and Tech Support suggests upgrades to NT
to solve these problems. Reports on the Omega List show the problems are
still not cured by upgrade to NT. I'm interested in making money trading,
not screwing around with premature software.

I kept my upgrade to TS5, partly because Omega stalled me past the twice
extended money back deadline, and partly because I have a huge investment
in Easy Language. This incident has convinced me that further investment in

EL is foolish, but I will keep TS5 and TS4 (thank's for the Y2K fix) to
support what I already have, then I'll start to learn an alternate charting
program (my New Year's resolution for the new millennium), and Omega will
never see another penny of my money.

I'm very disappointed with Omega. For this user, you guyz blew it...

--------------

Original message follows:

I tried running TS2Ki, including the latest build, with 61 symbols, and BMI
cable, on a 266MHz 128Mb SDRAM P2, and a 450MHz 256Mb SDRAM P2, both with
the same results (no other programs running on either machine). The Data
Manager is overwhelmed by any kind of volume, such as is experienced each
day at the stock mkt's open. Then the charting module stops responding. I
cannot change workspaces, can't type text on a chart, can't change charting
tools, news monitor doesn't display headlines, etc...

Data Manager's trouble shooting mode states "Data Manager is not getting
enough time to perform its functions..." I worked with Tech Support for 10
days on this problem, they were calling me every day with new ideas to try.
Finally, they stopped calling because they have nothing further to offer.
Omega acknowledges there is a performance problem with TS2Ki, but they say
this problem will not be addressed for two more service packs, something
like 3 months if you believe Omega.

I gave up playing with TS2Ki entirely yesterday. I like its pretty face,
and it's kinda fun to tinker with, but, in my opinion it's not to be taken
seriously for real time trading until Omega makes it robust and reliable in
some future build.