RE: Prosuite 2000i problems

"Is it really worth the time
money and aggrivation when so many alternatives are on
the cusp."

This is a tuff one to decide.  I find the chromacode feature in TS2K very
useful.  I find I can code and debug things about 25% faster than I can with
the monochrome EL editor in TS4 which makes me want to use TS5.  That's one
advant.  Still your point is very well taken.  The overall performance of
TS5 may be slower because it tries to do more, more than what current
machines are really capable of doing.  Was this the right move to make?
Speed makes sense to trades, slowness doesn't but then comprehensiveness
(power) does too.  What causes TS5 to appear to be slower?  It appears to
use MFC and MFC isn't as slow as TS5 is (ie drawing new charts, etc).
Implementing a server that can support an unlimited number of symbols I
think has a lot to do with it.  When you've got a program not only trying to
update a RT display as well as record RT for 25000, 50000, even 75000+ files
(symbols) that's a lot of overhead -- a lot of overhead that can slow down
the system's response time.   Don't forget that it's updating long complex
systems (probably interpreting the code on the fly with EACH NEW TICK that
arrives) and redrawing them RT along with updating orders and message logs.
It does this for each chart displayed (each chart loaded?).  It does A TON
of stuff but all the trader sees is a slower system.  One could make the
argument that the TS5 vision is just ahead of it's time.  It needs a faster
machine than the ones currently available.  Don't despair, the 1 Ghz
processors are only a few years off.

But really can you blame Omega?  I'm sure the features they implemented were
the features most requested by TS4 users.  They just listened to their
customers and who can blame them for that?  It could be that the features
most requested are features that can't be fully appreciated on today's
machines.

Even though Tradestation has been on the market for 7+ years, there's not a
package out there that can do what it does.  This should tell you something
about the complexity of it.  If it was truly a $300 piece of software, there
would be a lot more imitators.

B.