Prosuite 2000i problems

> Guys,
>
> Win 98 is not a good choice for ts2000. You WILL screw around till your hair
> falls out, or you die from frustration, with both win 98 or 95. Bite the
> freaking bullett and get with NT homey, because ts2000 is one of those apps
> that needs the bulletproof nature of NT.>

A lot of the problems fellows and ladies are having with ts2k and
prosuite are due to inadequate preparation and a mistaken operating
system choice.

The following are tips from Omega e-mail to me, and my experience, in
preparing for ts2k or prosuite instalation:

1)  I fully agree, and incidently, in writing to techsupport, Omega
emphasizes the vital importance of using NT for Prosuite or ts2k.

2)  Win 95 and win 98 are known to be unreliable operating systems by
any and all professional computer programmers and users.  Do not use Win
95 or 98 operating systems for anything except non-critical hobby
activites and recreation.  Win 95 and Win 98 should not be used for
serious computing by serious professionals who intend to make their
bread and butter in computer applications.  This is especially true for
traders who must have the greatest reliability possible, and for whom
money rides on every trade they take.

3)  Upgrade Win nt to at least service pack 4 before installing prosuite
or ts2k.  Currently, service pack 5 for nt has just been released by
microsoft.  This is essential according to Omega Research for ts2k or
prosuite.

4)  Omega recommends formating your nt partiton to NTFS.  If you have nt
currently in a superfat partition, consider reformatting it with
Partiton Magic to ntfs before installing prosuite or ts2k.  ntfs is a
superior and highly stable format.

5)  Get the Norton Utilities for NT before you install prosuite or ts2k
and check out the hard drive partiton into which you plan to install
prosuite or ts2k:  Eliminate temp files, eliminate conflicing files from
betas of microsoft office and other apps (call Omega or check their
website). Eliminate "lost" file handles.  Use any and all Norton
Utilities you can (and possibly others) to be certain the partition is
clean, and nt is ready before you install ts2k or Prosuite. One
important utility in the Norton package is uninstall:  uninstall all
pieces or betas or programs you no longer use.  This utility cleans out
all the remnants of old programs which can hang nt or ts2k/prosuite.

6)  As a professional trader, you must get backup software and copy your
nt partition to another hard drive partiton so you can restore it if you
have install problems with any software you install, including ts2k or
prosuite.  Or, in the case of a crash from which you cannot recover.

7)  Get Norton anti-virus software and check your nt partition
frequently for viruses before and after ts2k/prosuite instalation.

8)  If you plan on real time for only 50 symbols, 11 active, such as
myself, 64 megs of ram will do.  If you plan on a thousand or more stock
symbols real time, you should have 128 megs or more;  probably best to
have the max your computer can take in this case. For prosuite/ts2k you
need at least a 200 mhz processor, even faster (350 to 450 mhz) is
desirable.  Allow at least a gig or two or more for the ts2k/prosuite
partition; that way you will have room to grow and will be able to keep
old data for backtesting.

9)  New licensing policies at Omega for ts2k and prosuite allow you to
run ts2k/prosuite on two computers as long as you are the sole user of
both machines.  I will be experimenting with splitting my data feed so
both of my machines can run ts2k real time.  Omega has doubts about
this;  they fear the splitting can prevent one machine from getting data
when the other is getting it.  I'll experiment and let you know.
Redundancy for a professional trader is desirable;  if one machine goes
down, the other is still running.  I am setting up ethernet
communication between my two machines so I can pass files back and
forth.

10)  Get UPS back up for your computer(s).  Eventhough you think you are
in a highly stable power grid, you'd be amazed how often power surges
hit, and the reliability problems they create when they do.

Peter is at phoon@xxxxxxx