Re: Nick Leeson

There's a great book about his escapades titled "Rogue Trader; How I Brought
Down Barings Bank and Shook the Financial World"  -- It tells of the many
unwittingly supportive elements from far behind the headlines that
contributed to the debacle.

Imo, it should be required reading for all traders -- Probably only
available at the Library these days...

Reviews:

Amazon.com
How could one trader bring down the banking empire that had funded the
Napoleonic Wars? This is the story of Nick Leeson, the young gambler who
found himself sucked into a terrifying spiral of loss.  Disingenuous but
nevertheless compelling, this is a portrait of Leeson -- the working-class
boy who lived high, at least for a while, in an upper-class world -- and of
Barings, banker to the English peerage, but also of the organized chaos that
is the Singapore money market.

Newsweek
The collapse of Barings, and Nick Leeson's role in it, is one of the most
spectacular debacles in modern financial history. Markets have always been
cruel, but rarely have they been so cruel so swiftly -- and on so grand a
scale.