RE: Blather from Mark Brown

At 08:55 PM 6/18/99 -0700, Doug Forman wrote:
>The REAL question, seemingly carefully avoided, is whether or not the
>advertisers are REGULAR advertisers, not ONLY in the issue where they were
>reviewed.
>
>If vendor (pick one) has advertised in the last 24 consecutive issues of
>TASC, and also advertises in this month's TASC where a review of their
>product/service is done, SO WHAT?  Proves absolutely NOTHING.
>
>If, on the other hand, they have never advertised in TASC before their
>(favorable?) review, and have never since, well, that's a bit different.  I
>doubt that this is the situation in most cases...
>
>Doug

Yes, it makes sense that someone would advertise in an issue that
also had their interview. It's a way to fully benefit from the interview,
take advantage of the exposure by running an advert so people know
where to send their money.

This is to be expected. It's what I would do.

The question is, how many interviewees were NOT regular advertisers.
Or inversely, how many would appear to be interviewed because they
WERE regular advertisers.

This concept needs to be fully back tested, with appropriate adjustment
for current market conditions... Take into account slippage and commissions..

-Neal.

Neal on the 'net.
Trade well. Train hard.
http://www.halcyon.com/neal/