CFTC and Freedom of Information Act

List members:

My continued investigation into what triggered the CFTC to initiate
an inquiry into my trading system and its Web site clearly indicates
that it was triggered by a posting I made to this e-mail list.  My
Web site can't be reached by the standard Web spiders that mine the
Web for content.  That leaves the only other place this system was
mentioned ... omega-list@xxxxxxxxxxx

Because I also happen to deal with worst-case analyses of toxic gas
releases, as required to be reported by very many chemical facility
by mid-June, I've been following the House hearings about not disclosing
the results of such analyses on the Web.  Here is an excerpt from
a recent letter by Rep. Tom Bliley to Janet Reno:

"...Your FOIA experts stressed that current FOIA law requires that agencies prov
ide
public data in any form or format maintained by the agency or that is reasonably
reproducible by the agency, and that, for purposes of this requirement, each
separate database or searchable file is a separate FOIA-able record. Thus, the
initial reaction of your FOIA experts was that, if EPA maintains a national
electronic database of worst-case scenario data (which it plans to do), it would
have to honor FOIA requests for that entire database, including its searchable
programmatic features. ..."

What do you all think about filing and FOIA request to CFTC for their
database, so that I might determine what the initiating event was?

Thank you,
Rob Lake
rbl@xxxxxxxxxxx