Re: omega-digest Digest V99 #266

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: omega-digest Digest V99 #266
  • From: "Paul M. Zislis" <pzislis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

I've been using Portfolio Maximizer with TS4.  It has problems handling
multiple contracts at the same time.  It has numerous bugs in features
as basic as exporting reports into a spreadsheet.  Some  of these bugs
can only be recovered by restarting the PC.  Reporting bugs you go
through Omega Research customer service and they are not real
knowledgeable about PortMax.  I've gotten the "a new release is about to
come out and will fix your problems" story several times and the only
new release I got was a pre-release CD that seemed to have all the same
problems.

If you are thinking about "upgrading" to TS2K, don't buy PortMax for TS4
as it appears to have been "integrated" into 2K to become part of the
standard reports. At first I believed that introducing PortMax for TS4
was a cynical mechanism for milking some additional TS4 follow-on sales,
when TS2K was about to make it obsolete.  Since I've been reading all
the negative experiences with TS2K, I have no intention to "upgrade" and
no longer feel that TS4 will become obsolete (at least as a result of
TS2K as it currently stands).

I found some value in the PortMax user's manual about the value of the
various reports and analyses that PortMax produces.  However, I found
more value reading John Sweeney's book on Campaign Trading and at a far
lower cost.  By the way, PortMax calculates MAXIMUM Favorable Excursion,
although (for reasons Sweeney points out) the more useful measure is
MINIMUM Favorable Excursion.

Paul