Re: DCB FM receivers...

At 08:23 PM 5/15/1999 -0400, Gaius Marius wrote:
>:I don't say that to upset or offend you, I only say it to warn you!!
>:Think about this...  If the FM is even as little as a minute behind,
>:as I have heard that they are.... some claim that they are even
>:further!
>

>Not always true. Depnds on where you are and what feed you're using as well
>as what else is clogging up the bandwidth. A friend of mine uses BMI
>satellite and there are times when his alert goes off 20-30 seconds after my
>alert goes off. And I use DBC FM. Another friend of mine in Seattle uses BMI
>cable and there are times I can get a order off before he gets an alert. And
>there's a friend in Texas who gets alerts 5-10 seconds before me. So the
>best you can say is that the speed of reception depends on where you are and
>what service you're using.
>
>:Then YOU will be getting in on the end of all the moves.... the price
>:you would pay in slippage alone, forgetting all the losers you will
>:have accumulated because of this idea..... BUT, just considering the
>:slippage alone, will have paid for a satellite service many times
>:over... each and every month, even if you only do just a few trades!!
>
>You keep forgetting that not all of us are daytraders.
>
>More important than that is the ability to speed dial directly to the floor
>to place your orders (electronic execution of futures contract over the
>Internet right now is a joke).

Have to agree with Marius here. I have used both but with satellite even
through you set it perfectly over time with the wind and weather it will
get off just a bit sometimes more.
When that happens and you get a hard rain your data is interrupted then you
have to adjust it. If you live where it snows a lot then that's another
problem either with complete snow accumulation blockage or the snow falling
can also interrupt the signal. DTN is supposed to be the fastest and has
better support but have many trick clauses in their contracts. TS4 doesn't
support DTN but TSI will for net not sure about satellite. The big move in
the Internet now is to use cable to increase speed and modems will support
115k by year end. Satellite not sure how fast it can move but 38.5k is the
norm right now. Financial data for BMI is only portion of their business
music is the other they will be around a while. People in Chicago are
telling me the move is on for the Internet with ET trading and soon
exchange fees will be re-routed into per ticket charges. I think 5 years
from now all financial data will be free and reliable via the Internet.
People are opening 15,000 day trading stock accounts per day and the
futures industry wonts their share as well. BMI, Signal, DTN, CMG all will
be Internet to be cost effective the old way we have now requires to much
overhead.

Robert