RE: Aspen Graphics

I used Aspen Graphics for about 3-4 years.  I switched back to Tradestation
due to Aspens many limitations and problems.  Aspen has a number of very
good features but its drawbacks make it a poor choice in my opinion.  Here
are some of the problems I remember:
You have to rent it for life.  This really bothered me after 3+ yrs of
paying out 195 per mo.
Even though Aspen said the lifetime rent was for constant upgrades and high
quality tech support, I recd neither.  No material upgrades were ever
delivered and tech support was near worthless.  I knew the program better
than the tech people.
There is no system writing/testing feature.
It is not actually a Windows program.  It is a DOS program somehow
shoehorned on top of Windows.  Many of the commands and mouse operations are
different and incredibly annoying.  Once you memorize the wierd interface it
works terrific but then you are screwed up using normal windows software.
This drove me nuts.
Requests for feature upgrades were ignored.  Up/Dn Volume was not stored or
available on charts.
Limited historical data was provided.  You had to send your computer or hard
drive to them to get the program installed.  Then when you got it back it
was screwed up and you had to reinstall it yourself.

Good Points
The quote page was unbelievably difficult to set up but when done it was
terrific.  You can do anything you want with quotes and you can quote your
own formulas.  Data collection was terrific.  Like GlobalServer only faster
and much better data compression.  Very easy to collect just what you
wanted.  Very clear charts which can be set up almost exactly like you want.
Decent formula editor but no where near the power of Easy Lang.  You can
probably rewrite your indicators in Aspens formula editor but I doubt they
can be converted automatically.

Aspen as I understand it is used by a number of futures brokerage firms and
I guess thats where the company gets its main revenue.  They didnt seem to
care much about individual users.  I quit early 1997 and things may have
improved.  I dont know. But as bad as TS is I would never switch back to
Aspen.  Obviously you have to check it out in more detail as of today.
Thier webpage has a lot of info.
Bill